Egypt's President Promises More Jobs to Prevent Dangerous Migration to Europe
During a speech in Cairo on Monday 26th September, President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi beseeched the Egyptians not to leave their countryOctober 14th, 2016
Rescuers and fishermen discovered five bodies on Sunday 25th September, although the number of total deaths is estimated to be around 169. The media and security services estimated that up to 600 people may have been on the boat, but some survivors said that the number of people was about 400.
Speaking at the opening of a housing project in the coastal city of Alexandria, President Sisi said that ''there was no justification or excuse for the loss of lives in last week’s incident''. Giving priority to the youth, Sisi explained that there is hope for a better future in Egypt and he also promised to render more job opportunities: "There's hope. We're responsible for reviving hope for every Egyptian... but we can't overcome all obstacles and put an end to them in one, or two or four years”, Sisi said on Monday 26th September.
He mentioned that factories and fisheries were being built in the Kafr al-Sheikh area to create job opportunities and hope for Egyptians: "a project will be set up for fish farming. It may be the largest in Egypt, but putting a project into action takes time”.
In an attempt to support the Egyptian economy, which came through a hard and long path recent years, Sisi turned to the banks and suggested creating a fund using money left over from clients' exchanges. He mentioned that this would generate a large amount of money which could be distributed amongst several development projects. Sisi also requested that the media highlight the country's achievements, alleging that some people propagate false pretenses to make people doubt the government’s achievements.
According to the International Organization for Migration, more than 3,200 migrants have died trying to cross the Mediterranean in 2016, while approximately 300,000 people reached European shores.