Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Armenia
Address: Vazgen Sargsyan 3, Yerevan 0010, Armenia
Tel: +374 60 620000
Minister of Foreign Affairs
Edward Nalbandian was born in Armenia in 1956 and graduated from Moscow State Institute of International Relations in 1978. In 1988 he received his Ph.D. in political science in the USSR at the National Academy of Sciences at the Institute of Oriental Studies.
From 1978-1983 he served as the USSR Ambassador to Lebanon, then from 1983 until 1986 he served at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the USSR.
His later possitions included: Ambassador Extraordinary and Pleniponentiary of the Republic of Armenia to Egypt, Marocco and Oman (with residence in Cairo), Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Republic of Armenia to France, Israel, Vatican and Andorra (with residence in Paris) and from 2006 until 2008 he served as a Personal Representative of the President of Armenia in international organization of Francophonie.
Nalbandian has served in the government of Armenia as Minister of Foreign Affairs since April 2008. He speaks French, Russian and Arabic.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Armenia (MFA of Armenia) is a state body of executive power, which under the general leadership of the President of the Republic of Armenia elaborates and implements Armenian policy in the area of foreign affairs and organizes and manages diplomatic service within the framework of its authority. The MFA acts according to the Constitution of the Republic of Armenia, legislation, decrees, regulations, as well as foreign policy guidelines of the President. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs coordinates the activities of the executive power bodies of the Republic in international arena.
- Strengthening of foreign security of the Republic of Armenia,
- Maintaining of favourable external conditions for the development of the Republic of Armenia
- Representing of RA positions in international area,
- Protecting the interests of the Republic of Armenia and its citizens abroad,
- Deepening of involvement within international organizations and international processes,
- Further enhancement of cooperation with friendly and partner countries,
- Normalization of relations with those countries with which there are problems,
- Further development and deepening of ties with Armenian communities abroad.
The establishment of stability, cooperation, security and peace in the region is one of the priorities of Armenian foreign policy. Armenia spares no efforts for the formation of stable and secure South Caucasus.