Ministry of Foreign Affairs and European Integration of the Republic of Moldova
Address: MD-2012 Republica Moldova, Chişinău, str. 31 August 1989, 80
Tel.: (+373 22) 57-82-07, 57-82-06, 57-82-05
Minister of Foreign Affairs and European Integration
Andrei Galbur was born on 5th of July 1975 in Chisinau in Moldova. In 1997, he graduated from the International Free University of Moldova (Department of International Law and International Economic Relations) and in 1998 he graduated from the Vienna Diplomatic Academy. From 2013 until 2015 Andrei Galbur was Ambassador of Moldova to the Russian Federation, then served an Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs and European Integration until January 2016. On the 20th of January 2016 he was appointed Deputy Prime-Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs and European Integration. He speaks Russian, English and has a knowledge of intermiediary German.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is the central body which promotes the State’s policy in the area of foreign relations and conducts its activity in conformity with the Constitution and the laws of the Republic of Moldova, the decisions of the Parliament, Decrees of the President of the Republic of Moldova, decisions of the Government, and other normative documents, international treaties and agreements to which the Republic of Moldova is party.
The Ministry has the following main attributions:
- Exercises the sovereign rights of the Republic of Moldova in the framework of international relations;
- Promotes the foreign policy of the Republic of Moldova in its relations with other states and international organizations;
- Coordinates the activity of central relevant bodies and other administrative authorities of the Republic of Moldova in order to insure the establishment and further development of the relations with other countries;
- Negotiates on behalt the Republic of Moldova or participates at the negotiations of international treaties and agreements;
- Makes proposals concerning the initiation, negotiation, signing, ratification, acceptance of international agreements, adherence to these or their denunciation, makes exchange of the instruments of ratification, presents the instruments of ratification or adherence, notifies the approval or acceptance of international agreements or their denunciation;
- Supervises the application of treaties and other international agreements to which the Republic of Moldova is party, by presenting the respective proposals to the relevant central bodies, the Government and the President of the Republic of Moldova;
- The Ministry is the governmental body empowered with the function of coordinator in the issues concerning the respect of the obligations under international treaties, and the representation of the State’s interests in the framework of international organizations, inclusively in the area of human rights;
- Co-operates with the relevant central bodies and other structures of public administration in what the foreign economic relations and the promotion of a common State foreign policy are concerned;
- Conducts and controls the activity of diplomatic missions and consular offices of the Republic of Moldova in other states and international organizations;
- Maintains relations with the diplomatic missions and consular offices of other states in the Republic of Moldova in accordance with the norms of international law and customs;
- Exercises consular activities on the territory of the Republic of Moldova and other states.